Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cloth Diaper Confessions

As much as we love cloth diapers, every once in a while, something goes terribly wrong.  Usually at the most inopportune time.  The good news is that when this happens, we can simply clean up, laugh about it, and move on.  Thankfully, it doesn't happen often, and the thought of how much we are helping the environment while saving money by using cloth diapers definitely helps ease the pain. So, for the sake of full disclosure, I'd like to share our most recent cloth diapering mishap.

When we were on our road trip to Austin, we stopped for some coffee and snacks in a Starbucks right in front of the New Mexico State University. We parked our RV outside and all four of us came in to stretch our legs. We must have looked like a bunch of hippies with our Spray Pal sign on the back of the RV and me carrying Ryan with all his medical equipment wearing nothing but a t-shirt and a cloth diaper (him, not me). As we were standing in there waiting for our coffee, a group of college girls was standing near us, fawning over #minispraypal 2.0 in my arms. All of a sudden, I felt something warm and wet trickling down my leg. Turns out, the diaper we had on him was over 3 years old and needless to say the elastic in the legs is a little relaxed. The way that I was holding him had created the perfect leg gap for all of his pee to just escape right out to the floor.

I felt it first, so my face got the awkward look first, but it didn't take long for those college girls to drop their jaws and bug their eyes! Luckily, they and the sweet Starbucks employee who came running with a mop were so in love with 2.0, they didn't seem to mind too terribly that he had just peed on the floor of their Starbucks.  Luckily (or not, depending on who's shoes you're wearing), most of the urine output (#NICUterms) landed on me, so we weren't totally contaminating their food establishment.  But the look on their faces tells me that they'll probably not be looking into cloth diapers anytime soon.  Maybe in a few more years, when they're ready to have some kids of their own, they'll learn that cleaning up bodily fluids just comes with the parenting territory. ;)

So. I shared mine, now it's your turn!  What's YOUR most embarrassing cloth diapering moment?