Thursday, November 13, 2014

The BEST homemade latte. Seriously.

Alternate Title: This is Somehow (Sort of) Related to Cloth Diapers.

It may seem like a stretch, but bear with me, this is absolutely related to cloth diapers.  Just wait for it.  I'm about to show you the absolute easiest, most delicious way to save $28 dollars a week (plus the cost of gas!) on fancy coffee drinks from fancy coffee shops.  You're probably thinking I'm going to recommend an expensive, high end espresso maker with milk frother attachment, right?  WRONG!  You must not know me well, because I'm WAY too cheap for that!  Not too mention my kitchen is WAY too small to store anything like that.  Counter space in our kitchen is some highly sought after real estate. ;) 

Yes, there is a purchase required, but it's not what you think.  I bought two items off amazon for around $40 (and free shipping with amazon prime).  These two items are simple to use, easy to clean, and easy to store, which is reason number one that this is related to cloth diapers because doesn't that sound exactly like the Spray Pal splatter shield??  And while I can see how you might easily confuse the products, and knowing that the shield is food grade plastic free of all harmful chemicals, we actually don't recommend using your Spray Pal shield to make the world's best latte. ;) Just grab yourself these two products and follow our simple photo tutorial!



So, once you have the Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker and the Aerolatte Milk Frother, you'll just need to grab your favorite ground coffee and some milk.  You can see in the photos below that we love to use organic ground espresso, organic milk, and organic vanilla creamer and I can tell you that with the money I'm saving on Starbucks after buying these things, it's well worth it!
Here's everything you'll need.  It may look like a lot, but you'll notice everything is very easy to rinse clean.  After we clean it we just toss it in a box and tuck in in a pantry.  No counter space needed!

Twist the little filter holder on the bottom of this contraption.  Then add two scoops of your favorite coffee.  The scoop is included in the package!

Heat about 8 ounces of water and then pour it in with the ground coffee.  Make sure you set the contraption on a sturdy mug.

Use the stirrer provided to stir the water and grounds for 10 seconds.

Insert the pusher contraption and slowly push it down to force the coffee through the filter and into the mug.  When this is done, I pour the coffee into the glass pyrex I had used to heat the water.

Next I rinse the mug and use it to heat up the milk.  I use regular milk with some vanilla creamer added to it for sweetness.  Once it's hot, you can use the Aerolatte foamer to foam the milk.  This is super fun, believe it or not.

Now just add the coffee to the foamy milk and enjoy!  I usually use about half of the coffee per mug of milk and refrigerate the rest so I can make myself another cup later. Or I share if someone's around to share with. ;)

The BEST homemade latte ever!

See?  It's super easy and well worth the $40 some dollars I spent because I've seriously cut back on running out to the coffee shop for an afternoon pick me up.  I've been using this method for about a month and a half now, and I'd say it has easily paid for itself and then some. :)

And so finally, how is this all related to cloth diapers?  Well, you probably already caught that Spray Pal reference earlier, but besides that, coffee is basically what makes our business run.  Without it, I don't believe I'd function at more than 50% of my current state, lol.  So, you see, without these lattes, Spray Pal might not exist as it does now, and cloth diapering wouldn't be nearly as easy, and we wouldn't be working nearly as hard to #makeclothmainstream!!  Therefore, totally related. ;)

5 comments:

  1. What brand of coffee do you buy? I am looking for a good breakfast blend. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my coffee a little on the stonger side, so I typically buy espresso. The brand here is called Allegro, but I'll get whatever's on sale, to be honest. And if it's not espresso, it's probably the Trader Joe's Organic French Roast. :)

      Delete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this post!! My husband bought me the aero coffee press for Christmas!! I enjoyed an amazing pumpkin latte this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IKEA has a pretty solid milk frother for $3

    ReplyDelete